21 October 2012
Pharmacy students across Australia will now be able to access PSA member benefits free of charge under an initiative aimed at helping students build for their careers outside university.
Announcing the new offer at PAC12 today, PSA National President Grant Kardachi, said the PSA had decided to introduce the free student membership so that young pharmacists emerging into the workforce would be better equipped for the challenges and opportunities that lay ahead.
“The pharmacy environment is rapidly changing and evolving. At PSA we recognise that any edge we can give to young pharmacists will be welcome,” Mr Kardachi said.
“Students can join up for free when they begin their pharmacy studies and have years of access to the wealth of educational, professional and business information available to PSA members whilst completing their qualifying degree”.
“This will give them a very solid foundation on which to grow their professional and business careers.”
Mr Kardachi said among the benefits students would now receive at no cost were:
- online access to member-only information on the PSA website, including online lectures, CPD and reference material
- online access to PSA’s official monthly journal Australian Pharmacist
- regular electronic newsletters
- complimentary face-to-face member events
- seminars, conferences and workshops at member rates
- mentoring and networking opportunities such as early career pharmacist social events.
“Importantly, students will be able to take advantage of discounts for more than 200 textbooks from our online store,” Mr Kardachi said.
“They will also be able to access to PSA training programs and offerings at PSA member prices.
“This is an exciting development and one which will become an essential tool for all pharmacy students.”
MEDIA CONTACT: Peter Waterman 0487 922 176